Thursday 27 January 2011

Layout Work, Reece Identity.

Over the past few days I have been working on a logo design for Reece Leung Photography.
It has been a bit of a pain, trying to keep the design simple, bold and to match his personality.
My limits have been keep the design black & white and to use just his initials RL.

I feel I have came along with a good set of designs, but from there it is just picking one, getting the best out of it that I can.
I am lacking on decision making once again, something thats needs to be changed quickly.
Just need to pick an idea, take it into Illustrator and even then I may be able to improve it from there.

I started with just doodling some ideas down, just messing about with san serif and serif type, no particular typeface, just drawing out letters. Messing about with combining upper & lower case together.




Was playing with combining the letters RL into one letter/symbol. Using the L has a leg of a uppercase R, as seen below, but have not yet seem to work, looks alot more like a PL.




I have tried the RL into a symbol in a few different aspects, and I have also messed about with shapes trying to make them work as the letter RL. Below is a design using the same shape twice, but rotated. I like that idea, using just one, and using it in different ways.



I came up with an idea of using serif typefaces, and combining the letters, but trying to make it clever, so the letters are sharing the serifs, the problem with this idea has been the designs are reading more as LR rather than RL. This is something I am going to mess about with though, because I feel it could work, and could work really well.




Once again, using just one shape or letter and rotating it for it to read something else.
I used a uppercase L, reflected an rotated it. The design worked out pretty well, because it now looks as if it something to do with camera, when you are looking through a lens and you see the focus, forms a similar shape.



The idea below, of the backwards R working with the L, I felt could work, but a few people mentioned it could come across as a 3? But thats from a drawing, so will have to take it into Illustrator and see what I can do with it.



Deconstruction, an just messed about with removing pieces of the R and seeing if it has an effect for the design, and I have removed a piece, so there is now an interesting shape formed, so I feel I could do something interesting with that, gonna take it into Illustrator and mess about with size and composition.











Although I do feel comfortable with the idea I mentioned above, I just feel I should carry on to see if there can be any more improvement.
messing about with 3D, wrapping around each other, not having as much effect.






No comments:

Post a Comment